Website Thaddeus Stevens College
Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology has an opening for a permanent full-time Mental Health Counselor. This position reports directly to the VP of Academic Affairs and works closely with the Counseling/Disabilities Office to offer counseling services to undergraduate students at-risk due to mental health, substance use, disability, academic and social support needs. Counselor provides interventions such as short term one to one counseling, educational groups, referrals and coordination of services among on campus and community support services.
The counselor works as a part of a Retention Team to assist students with concerns related to: mental health and wellness, personal and social adjustment, disabilities and academic challenges. The counselor is an advocate for student success and must possess a demonstrated ability to multi-task within a flexible daily schedule.
The Counseling/Disabilities Coordinator will determine appropriate clinical interventions for more severe psychological cases, and disability accommodations. However, both counselors are responsible for responding to student, faculty and staff referrals regarding attendance, academic difficulties, personal and social concerns. The person in this role must have a working knowledge of FERPA, and HIPPA regulations, and possess strong writing, organizational and technical skills to document, track and analyze data for case history and service assessment.
The position is a 37.5 hour/week position with some evening hours during the Academic semesters.
· Masters in counseling or related field
· Mental Health related Licensure or Certification
· Experience in higher education setting or familiar with higher education laws
· Demonstrated experience in dealing with confidential matters
· Highly motivated self-starter who can take initiative
· Strong interest in working with under resourced populations
· Ability to support and guide individuals in developing healthy coping strategies for life and the workplace
· Working knowledge of FERPA and HIPPA Regulations
· Strong Verbal and Written Communication Skills
· Ability to coordinate with diverse support team
· Ability to follow College policies and procedures
· General knowledge of and commitment to the college’s mission, purpose, goals, and values
· Committed to a culture of diversity, respect, and inclusion
· A life time learner who remains current with respect to best practices in mental health and higher education
· Willing to participate in ongoing campus wide assessment process
· Expertise in responding to social emotional mental health needs of individuals from diverse backgrounds in a higher education setting
· Excellent communication and technical skills
· Ability to work as part of a team
· Ability to work independently
· Willingness to be flexible, and work in various settings
· Ability to assess and manage mental health emergency
· Knowledge of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Mindfulness Techniques
· Ability to balance professional ethics/confidentiality with Campus Need to Know
· Familiar with Trade and Technical Careers
· Bilingual abilities
· Demonstrate interest in or experience working with diverse and/or underrepresented college student populations.
· Experience with special populations such as individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Learning Disorders, ADHD, Transgender, Depression and Anxiety
· Respond to referrals from instructors, staff and administrators regarding poor student attendance, academic difficulty, inappropriate behavior, observed signs of possible mental illness or substance use
· Provide counseling as assigned or as needed
· Provide Academic Accommodations as needed
· Answer general questions or provide guidance posed by visitors, applicants, students as needed
· Assist with data collection and analysis related to assessment and Middle States Accreditation
· Develop and lead presentations/workshops related to student success, such as: mindfulness, wellness, stress management, etc.
· Participate in Retention meetings
· Maintain files and document all contacts in Jenzabar or Retention Module
· Participate in Orientations, Open House, and special events as needed.
· Meet weekly or as often as needed with Counselor/Disabilities Coordinator
Conditions of Employment
Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology is a residential, two year technical college that serves economically disadvantaged as well as tuition-paying students. The College prepares students for skilled employment in a diverse, ever-changing workforce and for full, effective participation as citizens of the community, the Commonwealth, and the nation. Committed for over a century to lifelong learning, inclusiveness, and community outreach, Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology dedicates itself to the development of Pennsylvania’s technical workforce. For information about the College, visit www.stevenscollege.edu.
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as a computer, phone, and copier.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing and movement is required. This would require the ability to lift files and file boxes, open filing cabinets, walking, and bending or standing as necessary.
Application Process: Application materials must include a cover letter, a current resume, and academic transcripts. Send applications to Heather Burky, Attention: Mental Health Counselor, Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology, 750 East King Street, Lancaster, PA 17602 or email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed upon submission and the posting will remain open until the position is filled.
Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To apply for this job please visit stevenscollege.edu.