Website St. Agnes Academy
Duration: School Year per contract 10 months
Reporting to: Director of Wellness
Schedule: Monday through Friday (plus events as required)
Hours: 7:50 am to 3:20 pm
Mission: Rooted in the Dominican tradition, St. Agnes Academy provides a Catholic college preparatory education that encourages young women to develop intellectual curiosity, to work for social justice and to act with integrity and compassion.
Faith, Community, and Dominican Charism:
· Ensure that the four pillars of a Dominican education (prayer, study, community, preaching) are developed and promoted among the school community
· Develop an active faith community and models Christian values
· Incorporate prayer and spiritual formation within the student, faculty/staff and parent communities
· Uphold and implement the Dominican charism and the Houston Dominican Sisters congregational goals
The purpose of the wellness counselor is to serve as a student, parent and community support and advocacy representative in the areas of social, emotional, mental health and well-being as it relates to student success in a school setting. Counselor provides short-term, solution-focused, strength-based and trauma-informed counseling in the school as a non-clinical setting.
The main responsibilities will include:
· Provide social, emotional support for alpha assigned students in 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade levels.
· Build rapport with 9th grade student alpha split and serve as their academic advisor.
· Develop and implement preventative, psycho-educational group/classroom guidance on wellness topics for all grade levels.
· Provide presentations, feedback, and offer support to parent community, faculty and staff.
· Offer trauma-informed, support/process groups throughout the year.
· Provide crisis intervention for students and families, advise administration and teaching staff on student academic needs in time of crisis.
· Provide feedback and collaborate with classroom instructors as needs arise for students.
· Advocate for overall community mental, emotional health and creatively offer ideas for stress management, balance and well-being.
· Partner with Dean of Students office in discipline cases that necessitate social, emotional follow- up and case management.
· Advise, inform admin, faculty/staff about developmental needs and characteristics of adolescence.
· Support office of Academic Dean with 9’s registration and course planning.
· Collaborate with the college counseling department with shared alphas.
· Cultivate relationships in the mental health community of Houston and surrounding areas.
· Maintain a membership to the American School Counseling Association.
· Willingness to be trained as a Certified Daring Way Facilitator (CDWF) and facilitate BOLD small groups with students.
· Master’s Degree in either Counseling or Social Work required
· School counseling certificate preferred.
· Commitment to embracing the mission of St. Agnes Academy
· Complete Safe Haven training
· Strong public speaking skills
· Work experience in a school setting
· Teaching experience preferred
· Excellent judgment, confidentiality, discretion, and diplomacy
· Ability to work independently as well as a team member; ability to set priorities and schedules to meet deadlines with a minimum of supervision
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office
· Strong self-care skills.
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional/education/office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit at desk area, communicate via phone/face to face, manually input data into a computer, walk to different office areas, reach with hands and arms, and minimal lifting.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.